Foreigner who intends to visit Nepal must hold valid passport or any travel document equivalent to passport issued by the Govt. for visiting a foreign country prior to apply for visa.
A) Entry: - No foreigner is entitled to enter into and stay in the Kingdom of Nepal without valid visa. Tourist entry visa can be obtained for the following duration from Royal Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or other mission offices or immigration offices located on entry points in Nepal.
B) Chinese citizen are requested to apply in Royal Nepalese Embassy or other Nepalese diplomatic missions, as there is no provision of on arrival visa for them.
1. Visitors who are entering Nepal for the first time in a visa year (Jan-Dec):
||60 days from the date of entry
||US$ 30 or equivalent convertible foreign currency
||US$ 80 or equivalent convertible foreign currency
* Multiple entry will be valid for a visa year (150 days in a visa year).
For Srilankan Pilgrims visiting to Lumbini can get single entry visa for 15 days in US$ 10 or equivalent convertible currency.
C) Tourist Visa Extension:
A tourist visa can be extended up to 120 days from the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu and Pokhara Immigration Office on request. Then after an additional 30 days can be extended from Department of Immigration on reasonable ground, which ensures one's departure from the country within 150 days in one visa year.
1. Tourist visa extension fee and additional late fee are as follows: -
- Visa extension without re-entry facility for 30 days: US$ 30 in equivalent Nepalese currency.
- Visa extension with multiple entry facility for 30 days: US$ 80 in equivalent Nepalese currency. One who has previously taken multiple re-entry facility in the same visa year will have to pay US$ 30 only.
2. Late fee for regularizing tourist visa:
- US$ 2 in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for the first 30 days.
- US$ 3 in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for the next 31 to 90 days.
- US$ 5 in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for more than 90 days.
3. Fee exemption of tourist visa:
- Children below 10 yrs.
- Descendant's up to the age of 16 years, holding foreign passports, of Nepalese parents or either of their parents is a Nepalese citizen.
- Citizen of Nepali origin, after having obtained passport for the first time from a Nepal based foreign mission, until the period of his departure to a foreign country.
A Transit visa can be obtained from the Airport Immigration Office for a period of 48 hours on the presentation of confirmed air ticket.
Fee for Transit visa is US$ 5.00
Other visa categories (Except tourist and transit visa)
Who may apply: Following foreigners and their family members may apply for this
Foreigners involved in the social and economic development works approved by His Majesty's Government, under the expenses to be borne by governmental institutions of the foreign friendly nations;
Foreigners having obtained recommendation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to work in the institutions run by the foreign missions located in Nepal,
Foreign representatives having obtained recommendation from the Ministry of Information and Communications to work in foreign newspapers and news agencies,
Foreigners having obtained recommendation from the concerned Ministry to act as helpers of the foreigners having obtained diplomatic or official visas,
Foreigners having obtained approval from His Majesty's Government to work on remuneration basis in any firm, company, association, industry or enterprise within the Kingdom of Nepal,
Foreigners having obtained recommendation from the Ministry concerned to work in any international airlines organization located in the Kingdom of Nepal,
Foreign importer visiting Nepal from third country on the recommendation of foreign governmental agency or Federation of Industries or Chamber of Commerce of Foreign Country,
Foreigners who have marital relation with the citizens of Nepal and furnish the marriage registration certificate,
Foreigners who come to Nepal to work, on the recommendation of the concerned Ministry pursuant to an agreement or understanding agreed upon at governmental or non governmental level,
Foreigners having obtained recommendation of the concerned Ministry to conduct feasibility study of an industry or enterprise for a period not exceeding 6 months.
Group leader of the foreigners making application, accompanied by the recommendation of the Ministry of concerned, for making the tourists' tour in group in Nepal,
--(k1) Foreigners who have obtained recommendation of the concerned Ministry and who have to come to work in Non-governmental organization as per the agreement concluded with Social Welfare Council or concerned Ministry.
What is needed to apply?
1. Recommendation from the concerned Ministry or Department.
2. Work permit (for the employees) .
3. Six Copies of application forms with photographs.
4. A copy of passport including the copy of last Nepalese Visa.
5. A marriage certificate from the concerned authority to obtain NT visa on the grounds of marriage.
6. A relation certificate from the competent authority to obtain NT Visa on the grounds of relation.
7. Valid Press identity card issued from Department of Information.
Duration: Up to one year at one time (can be extended)
Issuing Authority :
For the category (g) mentioned above - Nepalese Diplomatic Missions or Embassy abroad.
For all others - Department of Immigration Fee :
For journalist status Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 10 per month.
For marriage status Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 10 per month.
For status of category (a) mentioned above - Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 20 per month.
For the status of all other categories if otherwise not mentioned - Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 60 per month for the first year and US$ 100 per month for succeeding year.
For Chinese worker of category (i) mentioned above - Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 20 per month.
Temporary Visa Arrangements:
Concerned Ministry can recommend temporary visa to any foreigner for 3 months for non-tourist/study/business visa in order to cover the delay in providing long-term recommendations.
A three-month non-tourist visa can be obtained from the Dept. of Immigration upon the recommendation from concerned Embassy or competent authority for the delay to get marriage certificate from the local authority.
The travel document will be provided by the Dept. under the following conditions.
- Those nationals who will not be able to replace their loss/damage/theft/expiry passport in Nepal fro their own embassy or consulate.
- Those persons who will be deported from Nepal.